Social housing, homelessness and Council Tax

Social housing

Social housing allocations within the Bradford District are allocated through BradfordHomes.

To register for a property and join the waiting list you will need:

  • your National Insurance Number*
  • an email address
  • details of your current accommodation

The application will ask you questions about your household, current housing situation and housing requirements. You can find out more about the application process on the how to apply and frequently asked questions pages.

If you are a member of the Armed Forces Community, please indicate this on your housing application form as there may be circumstances where your application can be given priority banding. For further information on these circumstances, please see Bradford Council’s Housing Allocation Policy.

To apply for social housing within Bradford you will also need to have a local connection to the area. However, this connection can be waivered if you are:

  • a serving member of the Regular Forces or have left the Regular Forces within the last 5 years
  • a bereaved spouse or civil partner of someone who has served in the Regular Forces
  • a serving member or former member of the Reserve Forces

For any additional housing queries call the Housing Options team on 01274 435999. Lines are open Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 4pm.

* You can find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60, or letters about tax, pensions and benefits.

If you still cannot find it, you can visit the Find a lost National Insurance number page on GOV.UK.

Housing Associations within the Bradford District

As well as applying for housing on the BradfordHomes website, you may also wish to contact the Housing Associations directly as some of them may operate their own waiting lists. You can find the full list of Housing Associations that manage homes within the Bradford District on the BradfordHomes information page.

Homeless or at risk of homelessness

If you are currently homeless and have nowhere to sleep this evening, please contact the Housing Options Team for support on 01274 435999 Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm. If it is outside office hours, please contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01274 381999.

If you are at risk of becoming homeless within the next 56 days, please contact Housing Options on 01274 435999 for information and advice and to arrange a housing needs assessment.

Council Tax

Council Tax is a tax paid on properties that helps to pay for council services, including highway maintenance, social care and collection of household waste. The amount of Council Tax you pay is based on the value of your property, with each property falling into 1 of 8 bands. You may also be required to pay an extra amount to cover costs of a Parish or Town Council. For more information or to pay your Council Tax bill, please visit the Council Tax page on the Bradford Council website.