Licensing Privacy Notice

This notice provides details of how the Council’s licensing service collects and uses information about you. For more general information about how the Council uses your information and your rights, please refer to the general Privacy Notice.

What information do we collect

The licensing service may collect some or all of the following information about you as an applicant, depending on which licence, permit or consent you are applying for or enquiring about:

Common for most licence types:

  • Personal name, address and contact details, including any previous names and addresses
  • Relevant business, company or organisation name, address and contact details
  • Correspondence, emails, letters and notes of telephone conversations

Other information for specific licence types (where applicable):

  • Nationality, place of birth, date of birth and national insurance number
  • Identification documents used to prove entitlement to work in the UK
  • Passport style photograph
  • Declarations relating to criminal convictions
  • Relevant licensing qualifications
  • Bank account details

The licensing service may collect some or all of the following information about you as an 'interested party', such as raising a complaint about an existing licensed premises or activity or making a representation in relation to a licence application:

  • Name, address and contact details

Who uses this information?

Licensing officers use this information. It is also used by relevant council departments and external agencies where it is legal to do so.

Why do we use this information?

We use this information to assess the suitability of an applicant to hold a licence, permit or other consent and to assist individuals and organisations to obtain necessary licences, permits or consents. The service deals with the following licence types:

  • Licences and permissions under the Licensing Act 2003
  • Licences and permissions under the Gambling Act 2005
  • Street collection licences and house to house collection permits
  • Street trading consents
  • Adult establishment licences
  • Scrap metal dealer licences
  • Caravan site licences

We may also use this information to assist with enforcement of these licensing schemes.

What authority does CBMDC have to collect and use this information?

Under the UK General Data Protection Regulations, the licensing service collects and uses this information under powers given to Local Authorities (council’s). The following categories of lawfulness apply:

6(1)(c)      Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation

6(1)(e)      Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller

In the rare circumstance that we do not have a legal authority to use your information, we will obtain your consent first.

Who are we likely to share this information with?

We share the information we have collected about you where it is necessary, lawful and fair to do so. In each case we will only share the minimum amount of information, only when required, for the following reasons:

With other Bradford Council departments to:

  • provide advice and assistance to you
  • help carry out their legal duties, including the enforcement of regulations
  • help safeguard vulnerable adults and children

With external agencies we are required to consult with by law, including the Police, Trading Standards, Fire Service and Home Office:

  • to assess licence applications and the suitability of applicants
  • prevent, detect and prosecute crime (including the National Fraud Initiative)

A limited amount of personal data is required to be held on statutory public registers under the Licensing Act 2003, Gambling Act 2005 and Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013. This is limited to a licence holders name and address (where applicable).

How do we keep this information secure?

Your information is stored securely on database and document management systems with stringent access and use policies. We also undertake checks and monitoring to ensure the information we hold is accurate at the time and being used appropriately.

Some paper based records are stored securely for licence applications made prior to the introduction of the electronic document management system now used by the licensing service.

When computers make any decisions about you

The licensing service does not make or use any automated decisions.

When your data gets sent to other countries

We do not send any information we collect about you outside the United Kingdom.

How long do we keep this information?

We have a record retention schedule which details how long we keep different types of records and what we do with them when we no longer need them. Licence application files are kept for 6 years from expiry of the licence and are then securely destroyed.

What are your rights?

You have the right to request CBMDC to stop processing your personal data in relation to any council service.  See our main Privacy Notice for details.

This page was last updated on :
Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 02:40 PM

Contact details

Department of Place - Licensing Service
Argus Chambers
Hall Ings

Phone : 01274 432240
Email :

Other pages in this section