Online forms

If you have problems using our online forms please try again later. more »

Apply for Student Discount

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a tax on domestic property. It is collected by the local council and helps to pay for council services. Read more on our 'What is Council Tax' page.

Who is entitled to a Council Tax Student Discount?

  • full-time college or university students
  • full-time post graduate students
  • 18 or 19-year olds in full-time education 
  • anyone aged over 18 for whom child benefit is payable (you will need to provide proof of child benefit being received) 
  • a partner / dependent from overseas (who is not a British Citizen) of a student. To qualify the partner / dependent must have a visa that prevents them from working or claiming benefits, or if they have the right to work they cannot claim benefits. Please note that in addition to completing the online student form, you will need to upload evidence of your partner / dependent’s restriction on working or claiming benefits (such as images of both sides of their Biometric Residency Permit) using the General Enquiry form
  • EEA (European Economic Area) exchange students. Note: you will need to upload evidence of your university course in England or, if on work placement, evidence of your placement from your employer and your university course in your home country

Who is classed as a 'full time student'?

To count as a full-time student, your course must:

  • last for at least one calendar or academic year, and you’re required to undertake the course for at least 24 weeks out of the year
  • require an average of at least 21 hours of study, tuition or work experience per week

If you’re under 20 years old and you’re studying for a qualification up to A-level, NVQ/SVQ level 3 or equivalent, your course must:

  • last at least three months
  • involve at least 12 hours of study per week.

Do I still need to pay any Council Tax?

This depends on the circumstances of the whole household:  

  • All adults fall into the above categories: there will be no Council Tax to pay
  • One or more adults do not fall into the above categories: some or all Council Tax must be paid – your bill will tell you how much to pay. If the student is a joint owner/tenant with non-students, the student will not be named on the bill as they are not liable to pay Council Tax. If a student is the only owner or tenant, but other non-student adults also live in the property, the bill will be issued in the student’s name as the person liable to pay.

How do I apply?

Apply for a Council Tax Student Discount online