How to become a registered childminder

Are you considering becoming a childminder?

You can access a free information session - are you interested in becoming a childminder?

Please read the rest of this page for more information.

What is a childminder?

Childminders work in their own home caring for other people’s children for more than two hours a day, they are self-employed, and run their own business. Childminders look after children for reward in their own home. They can care for up to six children under the age of eight at any one time. They may also care for additional children over the age of 8.

A childminder must register with Ofsted or a Childminding Agency to ensure they and their home meets legal requirements. Ofsted or the Agency will inspect and regulate the childminding services.  Anyone working or living on the premises over the age of 16 must apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service Check to ensure they do not have a criminal record or any other issues that may affect the care of the children.

There are two registers; Early Years register and Childcare register (which has a compulsory and voluntary part). Many childminders choose to register on both, but some choose to register on the Childcare register if they plan to only provide out of school care to children in year one and above. You can find more information on the website.

As a childminder you will deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework (EYFS) and:

  • Offer a high quality inclusive education and care that meets the needs of all the children in your setting
  • Create an ambitious curriculum that will help children build their learning over time, to include opportunities for playing and exploring, active learning and creating and thinking critically
  • Offer a well-planned learning environment indoors and outside
  • Work in partnership with parents to encourage children’s learning and development at home

Do I need to have qualifications?

What childminders know, plan for, and do, matters for children’s learning, development, safety, and happiness in settings. Childminders must have appropriate skills, knowledge, and a clear understanding of their role and responsibilities in order to provide good quality early years provision.

Formal qualifications are not required, but to look after children in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), you need to show an inspector that you understand and can follow the EYFS.
In addition, you must attend a child protection training course that helps you to identify, understand and respond appropriately to signs of possible abuse and neglect at the earliest opportunity.
If you already have qualifications or experience which mean you understand and can meet the EYFS requirements, you might not need to do another course.

Childminders must have sufficient understanding and use of English to ensure the well-being of children in their care. For example, childminders must be able to: keep records in English; Liaise with other agencies in English; summon emergency help; and understand instructions.

A paediatric first aid (PFA) certificate must be in place prior to your Childminding registration. The first aid certificate must be for a full course consistent with the criteria set out in Annex A of the EYFS. Paediatric first aid training must be renewed every three years and be relevant for people caring for young children and babies.

How long does it take to register?

This depends on the level of training you require to meet the EYFS requirements, as stated in the section ‘Do I need to have qualifications?’ and timescales of other parts of the process, such as applying for Disclosure and Barring Service Checks.

If you do need to complete training, we suggest you then register as soon as possible after the training to ensure that your knowledge is current.

When registering with Ofsted it usually takes up to twelve weeks from starting the online application process. Childminding Agency registration timescales will vary.

Is there any funding available?

You may be able to get funding to help with the cost of setting up as a childminder from the government. Eligible new childminders can apply for a start-up grant to recover the cost of registering as a childminder. For more information visit

Will I get support from Bradford Council?

If you choose to register with Ofsted and follow the Bradford Council’s training route by attending the training to register as a childminder, a named officer will be allocated to you and will guide you through Ofsted’s registration process.

If you choose to register with a childminding agency, you will access training and support from your chosen childminding agency. If you wish to offer funded entitlement places Bradford Council will guide you through the Bradford Council application process.

Are you considering becoming a childminder? 

You can access a free information session - are you interested in becoming a childminder?

If you have general queries about becoming a registered childminder, please email

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Subscribe to email updates for childcare providers

Contact details

Email :

Related pages

Other pages in this section