Civil Partnership Registration

Civil Partnerships give legal status to couples in permanent relationships. You must each have lived in any district in England or Wales for seven clear days before the date you give notice of intention to register a civil partnership (this means that the notice is given on the ninth day).

To enter into a civil partnership the couple must be:

  • over the age of 18
  • not lawfully married or already a civil partner 
  • not within the prohibited degrees of relationship

A period of 28 clear days must elapse once notice of intention to register the partnership has been given before the partnership formation can take place.

Once the couple have signed the appropriate documentation in the presence of two witnesses and a registration officer the civil partnership is formed. There is no requirement for a ceremony as part of the process of forming a civil partnership but Bradford Council offers a ceremony to those couples who wish to have one.

Civil Partnership formations take place at the Register Office in Bradford and the Town Hall in Keighley with or without the addition of any form of ceremony.

It is also possible to form a civil partnership away from the Register Office at those venues which are approved by the local authority for civil marriage ceremonies and civil partnership formations. A list of these premises can be found on our Approved Premises page.

Each of you will pay a fee for giving notice of civil partnership.

Contact us about a civil partnership ceremony

To arrange a date for your ceremony or to make a general enquiry about a ceremony

Contact us to arrange a date or to make a general enquiry about a ceremony

If you have booked a date for your ceremony and now wish to book a notice appointment

You will need to tell us the names of the people forming the partnership, your chosen venue, and preferred date for the ceremony

Make an enquiry about a Notice of Civil Partnership

Documents you need to show

When you give a notice of civil partnership you will be required to produce certain documents, these include:

Evidence of name, date of birth and nationality

  • A valid passport 
  • Certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British Citizen granted by the Secretary of State
  • UK birth certificate (born before 1 January 1983)
  • Full UK birth certificate (born after 1 January 1983) together with:
    • Evidence of either parents British citizenship or settled status at the time of birth (this can be birth certificate, passport or a registration/naturalisation certificate). If the evidence relates to the father, the parents marriage certificate must also be produced 
    • A deed poll or statutory declaration if you have changed your name by formal means

From 1 July 2021, EEA ID cards are no longer be accepted as proof of nationality or immigration status when giving notice to marry or form a civil partnership in the UK.

From July 1 2021, persons who are not subject to immigration control are limited to:

  • a British citizen
  • an Irish citizen
  • a person who has been granted EU Settlement Status (EUSS), either settled or pre-settled, or has a pending application for that settled status submitted before 30 June 2021 where a decision on that application has not yet been taken by UKVI. You must bring proof of:
    • your EUSS share code, if you have one.
    • indefinite leave to remain (settled or pre-settled status or a pending application submitted before 30 June 2021)
    • right of abode
    • military or diplomatic exemption

If you or your partner are subject to immigration control you will need to give notice together. You will need to bring passport size photos and prove your Immigration status during the notice appointment, for example a marriage visa. If you do not have proof, your application to get married will need to be approved by Immigration Enforcement after you have given notice. This may take up to 70 days. Read more about this on GOV.UK.

  • You will also need to provide evidence of nationality

Evidence of address

One of the following must be produced showing the name of the person giving notice. This must be an original paper copy.

  • Utility bill (dated within with 3 months) 
  • Bank, building society statement or passbook (dated with 1 month) 
  • Council tax bill dated within 1 year 
  • Mortgage statement dated within 1 year 
  • Current tenancy agreement 
  • Valid driving licence 
  • A letter from the owner/proprietor of the address where the person giving notice has been resident for the seven days immediately prior to giving the notice. This must state that they are the owner or proprietor, their name and address, be signed and dated

Evidence of ending of previous marriage/civil partnership

  • Decree of divorce or nullity or dissolution of civil partnership granted in England, Wales or any court of civil jurisdiction in any part of the British Islands. If you were divorced abroad or your marriage was annulled abroad it will need to be the original divorce document issued by that country together with a translation if the document is in a foreign language. If the dissolution of civil partnership took place outside England or Wales we would need to see a certified copy of the final dissolution order together with a translation of the document is in a foreign language. 
  • Death certificate of late spouse or civil partner

Any supporting evidence to link the person giving notice to the evidence document produced (for example, marriage certificate).

All documents must be original, photocopies are not acceptable.

Civil Partnership to Marriage Conversion

Couples who had a civil partnership before 29 March 2014 can convert their Civil Partnership into a Marriage. The standard procedure involves no ceremony and would take place at the Register Office. You would complete and sign a declaration in the presence of the Superintendent Registrar. No witnesses are required and there is a fee of £45 plus £11 for each marriage certificate required. You need to provide evidence of your names, date of birth and your civil partnership.

Contact details

Bradford and Keighley Register Office
City Hall
Centenary Square

Please note: Notices of Marriage and Civil Partnership are by appointment only.

Monday to Friday: 9am to 4.30pm

Saturday: By appointment only

Other pages in this section