Your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998

How does the Data Protection Act protect personal data?

By setting rules and conditions which all users of personal information (Data Controllers) must obey when obtaining and using information about you. The Act also provides you with certain rights which the data controllers must respect.

What are your rights?

  • To ask the Council if it holds personal information about you and to be given access to that information 
  • To be given details about purposes for which the Council uses information and other organisations to whom it is disclosed 
  • To ask for incorrect data to be corrected 
  • To ask the Council not to use personal information about you for direct marketing 
  • To ask the Council to stop processing personal data which is likely to cause damage or distress.

How do I know what type of information the Council is holding?

The Council has taken out a Notification which lists the processing it is undertaking. This can be seen in the City Library in Bradford or on the internet at Below are the categories of information we have notified to the Information Commissioner. If you would like a more detailed list please contact the Data Protection Officer.

  1. Staff Administration 
  2. Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations 
  3. Accounts and Records 
  4. Property Management 
  5. Leisure and Cultural Services 
  6. Education 
  7. Assessment and Collection of Taxes and other Revenue 
  8. Benefits, Grants and Loans Administration 
  9. Planning, Licensing, Registration and Regulation 
  10. Social Services 
  11. Crime Prevention and Prosecution of Offenders 
  12. Corporate Functions 
  13. Other Non-Commercial Activities 
  14. Other Commercial Activities

How do you ask to see information about you?

You should write to the Council asking to see your records. You do not have to complete our form, but it is helpful to us if you would use the form as it directs us to the location of your data easily. You can also download a pdf version of the subject access form from this site and complete and return it by post.

How do you prove your identity?

You are required to provide proof of your identity. The following forms of identity will be accepted as proof:

  • A copy of your passport 
  • A copy of your driving licence 
  • A copy of your Bank, building society or credit card statement in the Data Subject's name for the last quarter 
  • A copy of your Council Tax bill

Do you have to pay to see your information?

The Council does not charge for access.

Requesting information on behalf of someone else

If you are requesting information on behalf of someone else you must provide written evidence that you have the Data Subject’s authority to ask for the information on their behalf, eg a letter written by them, evidence of Power of Attorney, etc.

How will you be given the information?

You will be given a copy to keep and check for accuracy. This will either be a printout from the computer or a photocopy of your manual records. You can ask for a different format if you wish.

What do you do if the data is incorrect?

You write to the Council telling it what is incorrect and asking for it to be corrected. You can also appeal to the Information Commissioner if the Council does not correct the information.

Underline image

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now