Financial assistance

The Council and other organisations can, in some circumstances, offer financial assistance towards the cost of improving your home, carrying out repairs or adapting a home for a disabled person.

What is a Home Appreciation Loan (HAL)?

A Home Appreciation Loan (HAL) is an equity release loan without monthly repayments to help homeowners to afford the work needed to bring their properties up to a decent standard.

Who is it for?

The loan is for anyone who is classed as ‘vulnerable’ and unable to access a conventional, commercial loan:

  • elderly people 
  • people on a low income

What is the loan for?

  • Essential work where the occupant's health and safety is at risk eg faulty electrical wiring or a leaking roof. 
  • Work to bring the house up to a ‘decent’ standard eg fitting a new modern bathroom or kitchen 
  • To help meet the cost of the Council's recommended scheme where it exceeds the maximum mandatory grant.

How does the loan work?

  • The Council will help to decide what work can be included within the loan. We can also help with the application process 
  • There are no monthly repayments 
  • The loan will be calculated as a percentage of the house value. The percentage is normally repaid when the house is eventually sold, with a maximum cap on what can be repaid in the event of extreme house price rises.

Important Note: Check that this mortgage will still meet your needs if you want to move or sell your home or if you want your family to inherit it.

If you are in doubt, seek independent advice.

For further information on the range of financial assistance available and what you may be entitled to please see the options below or alternatively contact us.

If you are planning to carry out any work to your property we advise that you consider the information below.

Organisations offering assistance and advice

Organisations likely to be able to provide help or advice regarding having work done to your house. Some organisations may also be able to provide advice regarding financial assistance if you are unable to secure funding from your existing lender.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free independent and confidential advice. They cover a whole range of issues including debt, benefits, housing, consumer issues and the law.
Telephone: 0344 245 1282
Local Offices:
Argus Chambers

6-8 Windsor Road
BD18 3EQ

Central Hall
Alice Street
BD21 3JD

There are also various community venues that hold advice sessions and you are advised to contact the above telephone number, or call into one of the 3 places listed above for more details of these.

Heating Rebate Scheme

If you are a home owner or private tenant aged over 60 but not eligible for the Warm Front Scheme you may be able to apply for a grant towards the repair or replacement of an inoperable heating system, or towards the cost of a new system if you do not already have one. For further details of this scheme contact Eaga on
0800 316 2808

The Energy Saving Trust

Energy Suppliers are obliged to promote and achieve home energy efficiency targets and offer various schemes and promotions from time to time. The Energy Saving Trust has details of all grants and special offers offered by energy suppliers. They also offer advice on steps you can take to reduce energy costs yourself.
Telephone: 0800 512 012

Financial Conduct Authority

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is concerned with the regulation of financial services and markets in the UK. Any person who carries out a regulated activity in the UK must be authorised by the FCA, or exempt. If you are dealing with any company offering financial services it is recommended that you first check they are on the FCA register. The FCA also give advice and tips on dealing with lenders etc.
Telephone: 0845 606 1234


GOV.UK is the UK government's website for government services and information.
Website: GOV.UK

Age UK

Age Concern and Help the Aged are now Age UK. They offer a wealth of information and advice for older people including advice on benefits, care and help in the home and help with small repairs etc.
Telephone: 0800 169 8787
Local centres – Age Concern Bradford and District Telephone 01274 395144
13-15 Sunbridge Road

32 Kirkgate

Unit 8
Airedale Court
Cook Lane
BD21 3PF

Charities and other sources of funding

There are various charities and community groups that may be able to help with the cost of repairs and adaptations to your home. These tend to have specific eligibility criteria, for instance they may be linked to your former occupation, or to people of a specific religious faith. For details of any funding for which you may be eligible you could contact your local CAB or Age UK branch (details as above) or visit the Turn2us website which is a charitable service which helps people access the money available to them. They have a website which has been designed to help you find appropriate sources of financial support quickly and easily, based on your particular needs and circumstances.
Telephone: 0808 802 2000

Remember – Do not agree to have any work done, or accept any financial assistance until you are absolutely sure of all terms and conditions. Always check the credentials of any company, individual or organisation you deal with.

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for emails about housing and homes

Contact details

Housing Service
8th Floor
Margaret McMillan Tower
Princes Way

Phone : 01274 434520

Other pages in this section

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.


Council Switchboard : 01274 432111

Council Address : Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford BD1 1HX

© 2017 City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council