What to do if you have a problem with Social Care Services if you are a child or young person

What can you do if you have a problem with our services?

  • Talk to an adult you trust 
  • Mention it in your review (a review is a meeting about how you are getting on) 
  • Use the "moans and groans" book if you are living in a children's home 
  • Talk to an advocate - they can help you to try and sort it out 
  • Contact the Complaints Manager of the Children's Social Care.

Sometimes talking about what worries you is the fastest way to resolve the situation.

If you are a looked after child or young person you have the right to have an Advocate from Voiceability

An Advocate can speak up for you and can help you to get something stopped, started or changed.

An Advocate can:

  • help you to sort problems out 
  • speak on your behalf 
  • help you and support you when you make a complaint

Contact VoiceAbility:

Freephone 0800 012 4314
Email: youngpeoplebradford@voiceability.org

You can make a complaint

If things have not been sorted and you are still not happy about it, you can contact The Complaints Unit directly or you can ask your Advocate to do it for you.

Telephone: 01274 432987
Email: sscomplaintsunit@bradford.gov.uk

You can also make a complaint online.

You have made a complaint - what next?

The Complaints Unit will listen to you or your Advocacy Worker, will find out what the problem is and will make sure that your problem is dealt with.

Your problem can be resolved in 1, 2 or 3 stages.

You can stop the process at any time or once your problem has been resolved. If not, you can take it to the next level.

If you are happy with our services or if you have an idea about how to make our services better...

Tell us by using one of the contacts above.

Complaints stages

Stage 1


A Team Manager or Unit Manager who knows about you will look into your complaint


The Manager will write to you within 10 days

What if I am not happy?

You can go to stage 2

Stage 2


An Investigating Officer who does not know you will look investigate your complaint.

An Independent Person will oversee the process to ensure that your views are taken into account.

The will meet with you and discuss your problem. Your Advocacy Worker can be there as well to support you.


The investigators will send their report to the Assistant Director who will write to you within 25 days.

What if I am not happy?

You can take it to stage 3.

Stage 3


A Panel made of 3 Independent People (who do not work for the Council) will meet you (if you want to), your Advocacy Worker, the people who investigated in stage 2 and the Assistant Director.


They will send their views to the Director of Services for Children & Young People who will write to you within 15 days.

What if I am not happy?

You can take it to the Local Government Ombudsman, an independent organisation that investigates Local Authorities.

Underline image

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now